Thursday 20 December 2007

Free GTI update

Did it pass the MOT? Did it heck.

Last night, before I posted the last entry I had removed the stupid pressure-reducing valves that had stopped the heater working (more for driver comfort than anything else - it IS very cold at the moment!) . I then extracted the leaking radiator and put in the nice new one out of the Syncro and sorted the non-working dip beam light by servisolling the connector and pushing it back on! Obviously the new screen went in this morning..... eventually.

I did try and get new plates at lunchtime, but there was some argey-bargey about documents, so I came away annoyed and empty-handed.

MOT fail this afternoon on the following:

numberplates
numberplate lights (same reason I took off the non-working rear wiper last night)
OS front brake hard line = corroded
OS CV boot split
Brake bias valve seized
welding required to shell near rear beam bolt-up point.

I guess about 15 miles being driven with a gentle foot on the brakes cleaned 'em up quite well - I was rather concerned about it failing on them!

Fanbelt also to be replaced as it was squealing like a stuck pig this evening.

Still up-beat about it though - it's dead easy to work on, too!

I've got 10 days to 'have Christmas' and then get this sucker MOTed with no re-test fee. The rear beam and bias valve are already off and I've got the CV boot that needs replacing. I'm also going to replace the flexi-hoses on the beam as the existing ones are pretty crusty.


Chop chop.

No comments: